Friday, January 06, 2006

BREAKING NEWS: Men And Women Are Different!!

Before I get into the meat of this post I have to issue a disclaimer: I am NOT against women’s sports and I’m not a sexist. As a matter of fact I like women a lot. As it concerns sports, I like certain women’s sports and fully support a woman’s choice to play sports and make a living of it. But that’s not the point. Let me explain:

The one thing that frustrates me is when people say that women are closing the athletic gap with men and their versions of sports are just as good as their male counterparts’ versions. I mean, if you like the WNBA, then more power to you – watch it all you damn want. Do not, however, try to tell me that that product is every bit as good as the NBA because if you do I will know that you ate paint chips as a child. I mean, a WNBA player dunked the ball in one of the games and they stopped the game to shower her with adulation!! It was so monumental that they made a gigantic deal about it. Hell, if I go 5 minutes without seeing a dunk in any men’s game I’m ready to break shit. And let’s not forget the WNBA uses a smaller ball with pretty colors on it. Hey – if everything is equal, USE THE SAME DAMN BALL!

Anyway, it’s become PC to claim that there are practically no differences between the sexes but this is stupid on its face to anyone who has the faintest trace of common sense. Athletically, men tend to be bigger, faster and stronger than women and it’s genetics, not sexism. That’s not to say that there aren’t women who wouldn’t hand most men their ass in any sport. And there’s no doubt that a WNBA player wouldn’t kick the crap out of me in a basketball game. That is not the point though – put the best WNBA player against the best NBA player and guess who wins? There are other less dramatic examples. I remember talk show host Craig Kilborn talking about being friends with Rebecca Lobo. She was once a dominant player in her league and Kilborn would regularly kick her ass in friendly games. The Tennessee women’s hoops teams practices against (and loses to) intramural guys teams to make them better. We’re not even talking about real athletes, just regular bum-ass students!

So why do I bring this up any how? It all started with this article about the U.S. Women’s Olympic Hockey Team losing a game to a HIGH SCHOOL BOYS TEAM. And the kicker: there was no checking in the game! If the boys had been allowed to check they would have killed the national Olympic women’s team. Yikes.

Again, so we're clear, I didn’t write anything above to belittle or insult women at all and frankly, it pisses me off that I have to write a disclaimer about that so people won’t take this the wrong way. Women, keep playing sports. Seriously, I’m not even remotely joking about that – I think it is cool as hell. But we should be able to acknowledge obvious physical differences in the sexes without it being a political issue. Otherwise it is time to start cutting people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home