Sunday, November 20, 2005

Sivlitz adds "crime fighter" to his resumé.

I didn’t go out Saturday. Instead, I went to hang out with some buddies over at Randy’s house. That in and of itself is not unusual but the story of what happened when we went to buy beer most certainly was.

We stopped at the liquor store so we could find something good to drink. Everyone picked out what they wanted and I left with a sixer of New Belgium’s Summer Wheat. The next stop was to the convenience mart to pick up snacks. I settled on some beef jerky, Andy bought some hot chocolate and we both headed outside with our loot and waited for Randy and Nelson to wrap up their purchases. While we were waiting outside, we noticed a man walk into the store and head to the beer section. No big deal, right? Well, Randy and Nelson were already in the checkout line when this dude entered the store. A short while later, Andy and I notice him walking out of the store with two cases of Bud Light while Randy and Nelson are still in line. It hadn’t dawned on me yet, I thought to myself, “damn, that guy sure checked out real quick.” The next thing I thought was, “wait a second… I don’t think he checked out at all. Perhaps he has some sort of arrangement with the clerk.” I looked at Andy and he asked, “Is that guy stealing that beer?” Well, after processing the info – it sure as hell seemed like that. I looked in the window and see Randy and Nelson with these goofy incredulous looks on their faces. I look at the clerk as he’s gesticulating trying to get my attention in a “hey, stop that guy!” kind of way.

I have to say, it was very surreal. I’ve seen other beer runs before but they usually involve younger guys grabbing the beer and running for their lives. Well this was an older dude and he just grabbed the beer and ambled out like it was the most normal thing in the world. That’s why it just didn’t register at first. Unfortunately for this guy, a police officer happened to be pulling into the parking lot just as he was walking to his getaway car. I noticed the thief quicken his pace and Andy and I start waving at the cop and pointing at the thief. Well, he wasn’t registering anything unusual either, outside of me and Andy motioning like a couple of epileptics. He rolled by me with his window down and I had to communicate what was happening to him. I was on the spot and had to verbalize what was happening. This was the best I could manage:

“Hey… that dude didn’t pay for his shit!!”

Apparently that was good enough as the officer moved to block the car which was now trying to make its escape. The thief was arrested and cuffed and his accomplice was busted too. The police officer got information from me and Andy and told me that my quote was going in his official report.

I suppose those words are as good as any other to be remembered by.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home