Monday, October 24, 2005

Delta Lambda Phi breaks fraternity stereotypes!

So I was eating breakfast and reading the newspaper this morning when I stumbled across this news story: Gay frat hopes to find niche at the UA. Whaaaaa???

If some gay dudes want to start a fraternity, that’s cool. I’m pretty open-minded about that aspect of human sexuality. I mean, one of my best friends when I lived in Germany was gay (well… I assume he’s still gay – I just use the past tense to illustrate that we aren’t in frequent contact anymore. But I digress…) and one of my good friends now is gay. I mean, Andy says he’s straight but we all know the truth.

Back to the article though; one of the things I noticed immediately was the name of the fraternity. Delta Lambda Phi. For those that weren’t or aren’t part of the Greek System in college, those letters stand for something. Zeta Beta Tau (ZBT) is rumored to stand for “Zionist Brothers of the Torah.” Kappa Kappa Gamma (KKG) is rumored to stand for “Keys to the Kingdom of God.” I’m a Kappa Sigma (KS) and I know that those letters stand for ______ ______. So what could Delta Lambda Phi stand for? Delta (Greek equivalent of “D”), Lambda (=L) and Phi (=F or Ph).

D.

L.

F.

What could D L F stand for? Gay fraternity. D. L. F. Gee, I give up.

The second thing that immediately jumps into my mind is that gay dudes aren’t known for discriminating taste in who they sleep with. Maybe I’m over-generalizing with that statement but there are bound to be some odd situations. I am a firm believer in the “Don’t Shit Where You Eat” philosophy. Don’t date/sleep with: your roommate, your co-worker, your buddy’s sister, your buddy’s ex, etc. If something goes sour, you don’t want to be stuck in an uncomfortable situation with someone that you have to see all the time. Of course there are mitigating circumstances and exceptions but that’s pretty good as a rule of thumb.

Sleeping with your fraternity brother adds a whole new dimension to the “Don’t Shit Where You Eat” philosophy that I’m not ashamed to admit I hadn’t considered. Vice President Dan Churgin claims there is a strict rule that prohibits members from dating one another. Well Dan – I’m pretty sure the DPS has rules designed to prohibit me from traveling faster than 55 mph on the freeway and we all know how that works out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home