Sunday, October 16, 2005

Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Wednesday morning, Vroni and I left Munich to head to Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Rothenburg was plundered during the 30-years war and was left without the money to modernize so it’s a perfectly preserved medieval city.

Our trip got off to a rocky start. Vroni had everything timed out so that we would arrive at the subway station in time to buy our ticket to Rothenburg and have plenty of time at the Hauptbahnhof for a quick bite to eat or whatever the case may be. What she didn’t account for was the giant bag I was carrying with me and the extent to which it would slow my progress. We missed our subway and waiting for the next one was going to put us in a tight spot if we were to catch the train to Rothenburg on time. Well, we did so everything was good in the hood.

The train ride itself was pretty cool. I like staring out the window at the German countryside. I also took the opportunity to listen to my iPod and read. We got to Rothenburg and found our hotel easily enough. I had a bit of a surprise up my sleeve though. Vroni thought I’d booked a simple single room but I reserved the apartment and I was glad that I did. Our hotel door opened up to a staircase that led to our living quarters. We had a giant living room complete with coffee table and entertainment center (board games, TV, etc.). We also had a full kitchen with stovetop, oven and refrigerator, fully stocked with utensils and appliances. There was a master bedroom, a second bedroom and a third bedroom upstairs. The bathroom was incredibly spacious and had a separate shower and bathtub as well as a vanity and a cupboard full of towels. On top of that, the door out the back of the bedroom led to our balcony with a great view of the city and the countryside. The balcony was spacious enough to have its own patio set with table and chairs. Phenomenal accommodations. I think Vroni was pleasantly surprised.

The city itself defies description. It is like stepping into a time machine. The city walls were still fully intact and we spent the rest of Wednesday wondering around checking out the city and looking for the notable sights. We ate a great dinner, did some browsing and called it a night.

We had more of a purpose on Thursday. We had a good idea of the sights we wanted to check out. We walked around the circumference of the city on the outside taking pictures of the cities fortifications, came back in to the city and visited most of the notable places then got up on the city wall itself and went around the entire city again. The whole day was a great big tour but every second of it was unbelievable. Rothenburg is definitely worth another visit when the chance presents itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home