Saturday, May 06, 2006

I NEED YOUR HELP!

I am honestly curious about something so I need your help. If you read this post, PLEASE COMMENT ON IT and share your opinions.

Here’s the situation: A couple of days ago, I posted two of Don Hertzfeldtz’s cartoons: “Ah L'amour” and “Rejected,” on my blog (please check them out so you have a frame of reference here. The first one is about two minutes long and the second is about 9 minutes).

Now… I didn’t think too much about it – I thought the cartoons were funny and that was the end of that.

Until Yesterday.

Yesterday I got this message via email:

It’s no wonder that people are so brutal and shoot their classmates in school if videos like those posted on your site are so prevalent and viewed on the internet. I mean, really! What were you thinking? I bet you found it funny when that bimbo ripped the skin off that guy and poured salt on him. As funny as you might think it is, I don’t find it at all amusing.

I hope that none of my friends who know about your site see it in the next few days because if any of them were to ask me, “what the hell is wrong with him,” I will only be able to say that I asked myself that same question when I saw those videos.

I have to say I couldn’t even finish watching those videos. They were too offensive…


So there you have it.

In any event, I am legitimately curious to get peoples’ response to this. Do you agree or disagree with the email above? What would you say to this person? Post your comments!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree completely with the e-mail… kids don’t shoot up schools because of what they watch on television or see on the internet. Kids shoot up schools because they are cowards and probably had parents that put them on time out rather than giving them an old fashion ass kicking like they really needed. But hey just opinion… I personally enjoyed the clips

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see how some people could be offended by these cartoons especially since there was no context before viewing them. For the most part I thought they were hilarious, especially when the cartoon guy stopped and then walked right past the fat chick. The cartoon with the spoon and the banana are just stupid funny. The interesting part is that this person actually thought more of Joe before he posted these cartoons, and that in itself is mind boggling :). Last but not least there are a whole boat load of REAL videos online that graphically show people being killed by anything and everything you can think of. I doubt that these cartoons will hold any influence over an unstable/homicidal young adult. Thats what graphic video games are for.

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In general, I would have to disagree with the email. Could one view these cartoons and think they are adolescent or tasteless in nature? Sure. I was not offended and actually thought some of it was funny. What I got from watching them was maybe the dude had some issues with women, as in, he had had his heart stomped by someone he realy liked. Where I take issue with the email is the comment "It's no wonder that people are so brutal and shoot their classmates in school....". If people are that suggestible that they do not know the difference between a cartoon and reality and seeing them will cause them to behave in a particular manner, we have bigger problems than the cartoons themselves. With that kind of rational, we should never show sex on TV, a person should not be allowed to buy and read Mein Kampf or In Cold Blood. Our media will not show people jumping from the Twin Towers to escape being burned alive. Nor will
it show the beheadings of innocent civilians because both are too harsh a reality. Instead, we cry out at a cartoon. Something strikes me as wrong with this. The people that shoot up schools, as evidenced by the investigations, have something wrong with them to start with. They had troubled childhoods, or an inability to fit in, etc. Ultimately, they were ill equipped to deal with life. The fact remains, you can find anything to justify your actions if you are the type to not accept responsibility for your own self.

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People need to lighten the fuck up! Stevie pretty much nailed it on the head. In today's society, people are always making excuses and displacing blame instead of taking responsibility, when unless you're certifiably nuts, everyone knows the difference between right and wrong regardless of what is shown on some silly cartoon or TV. By the way, I thought the cartoons were pretty cool.

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home