Monday, February 20, 2006

Fraternity Hazing

I would reckon that most people know I am a Kappa Sigma. Joining a fraternity was something that I had never ever considered before actually going to college but the way you plan things and they way they actually turn out are oftentimes quite different. Nevertheless, the fraternity has been a great experience. It helped to keep my grades up when I was in school and has opened some doors networking-wise that might not have been opened otherwise. Hell, I got my current job because I’m a member of the same fraternity as the boss.

Still though, there was a price to be paid. An entire semester of pledgeship was that price. We were forced to memorize the fraternity creed and recite the whole thing under pressure while forced to hold a lit match upside down, we were essentially butlers for the actives, etc. The week before initiation (I-week) we were forced to stay at the chapter house and undergo a boot camp-like atmosphere where we got very little sleep and very little food while being forced to complete tedious objectives like picking out every rock from our landscaped drainage ditch and hand washing them or trying to put together a 1,000 piece puzzle that had been painted black to obscure any reference we could use. One of the actives locked us in his garage and our dinner that night was the contents of a tin can that was pulled from a bag. The catch was that all the labels had been removed and the meals ranged from fruit salad to raw clam chowder to dog food. I still cannot identify what I “ate” that night (it had the same consistency and appearance as snot and I threw up after two spoonfuls so… no dinner for me that night). Still though, our hazing could have been much worse.

We were never forced to have sex with a goat for example.

It turns out that the AGRs at Western Kentucky University had secured the services of a goat that they kept locked up in a storage room. It’s debatable whether they were going to ask their pledges to actually do anything with the thing but… that’s gotta be a sobering sight for a pledge.

Still though, it raises a question: exactly how bad do you want to be in a fraternity? I guaran-damn-tee that I would not be a Kappa Sig today if I had been asked to couple with a goat.

These people are from Kentucky though. Maybe that explains something.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOU ARE AN F'ING LIAR!!!! I KNOOWWWW YOU WOULD BANG A GOAT....I MEAN COME ON, YOU DID RANDYS MOM FOR GODSAKE.

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home